Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A lesson in traditions

As many of you know, there is a very exciting game coming up in the next 20 hours or so. My beloved Kansas State Wildcats, lead by mafioso Frank Martin, will take on the KU Jayhawks.

There is already a lot of "chatter" on facebook about the upcoming game and one post featured a youtube video of the KSU student section at Bramlage (you will never hear me refer to it as the Octagon of Doom) doing the Wabash Cannonball. The quality of sound wasn't that great on that video and I was left really wanting to hear the band blast that ditty out so I went to youtube to find a better version.

Imagine my surprise when I found this:


I'm not really sure where I thought this song came from or what it was about or how it became a K-State tradition, but I did not see this coming. It was much like the feeling I had when Becca and I realized that the band's name was not Haulin' Oats, but rather two dudes names, Haul and Oats.

If anybody of importance at K-State reads this blog I would like to encourage you to make this part of orientation or at the very least offer a 1 hour credit course that covers university traditions. You should probably also closely monitor the Wabash Cannonball Wikipedia page.

To any college friends who tried at some point to impart this wisdom on me, I apologize for acting like I was listening (doesn't this seem like something Steve Kirk would have known?). Clearly you were trying to teach me something important and I should have put down the beer.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm....i always knew it was about a train (kinda). but what's the deal with Birmingham? It's ManHATTAN.

    ReplyDelete