Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Don't worry this isn't another Facebook tirade, although the title is very appropriate for one of those, I'm quoting Gone With The Wind.

Over the last two months, I've developed a small love affair with old movies and the slightest of crushes on actors like Cary Grant, Clark Gable and even a young Robert Redford.

After watching It Happen One Night I convinced myself I had to watch GWTW since it was one of Gable's most famous roles. Four hours later, I'm not so convinced I needed to watch it. I mean, I'm glad I can say I've seen it now, but I did not fall in love with it like I was thinking I would. Does anybody else hate Scarlett O'Hara? I had some real urges to punch her in the face sometimes for being such a pain. But Rhett Butler, now there's a character I can get behind...to bad he loved crazy.

So while I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll watch the movie again, I can trace two quotes back to my life that I never knew came from this movie:

"Fiddle-dee-dee" - Originally quoted in the movie by Scarlett, repeated by Blanche Devereaux in an episode of the Golden Girls

"Lawzy, we got to have a doctor. I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies." - Originally quoted in movie by Prissy, repeated often, throughout my entire childhood by Alison's mom, Cherie Jo. (Not the birthin' babies part, the "Lawzy!" expression. I thought that was just a word she made up herself.)

Oh and I also left the movie experience with one quote from Mammy that I can't wait to use in real life:

"You can't show your bosom 'fore 3 o'clock!"

Hilarious.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Young Robert Redford... Have you seen The Sting? I've been loving movies from the '60s and '70s lately - especially Steve McQueen flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sting is in my queue! I'll gladly take any movie recommendations you've got around those decades :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for McQueen... Love with the Proper Stranger, The Great Escape, The Thomas Crown Affair (the original). Just watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Young Robert Redford). Also just recently watched The Graduate.

    Movies from this era are interesting... not always guaranteed that everything's going to end up all hunky-dory.

    Sounds like I need to check out some Cary Grant and Clark Gable movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! At first that kind of bugged me that there wasn't a "perfect happy ending" but now I kind of like it.

    Must watches so far:
    An Affair To Remember
    It Happen One Night
    The Way We Were
    Foul Play (ok, this one isn't really in the category we are talking, but it's Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn in like a comedic drama and Chevy kind of reminds me of a Ryan Reynolds)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I've added them to my queue. I had The Way We Were in there... I'm with you on the young Robert Redford. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GWTW is my fav book of all time. You need to read the book before the movie. Good luck. Its a big one.

    ReplyDelete