Friday, May 21, 2010

You're no good, you're no good, you're no good, eggy you're no good.

More than once now I have had a conversation with my co-worker about eggs and how long you should keep them. This conversation was revisited today when I said, "I had eggs in my refrigerator and I couldn't remember when I bought them so I looked for an expiration date on the carton and it only had a sell by date. How long would you say it's safe to use eggs after the sell by date?" Her response, "Oh, I wouldn't say more then a day or two." Which was apparently blasphemous to me, "WHAT!?! Two days? I was thinking a MONTH!"

Clearly, her and I have very different views on the life expectancy of food.

A third co-worker joined in the conversation and took the middle of the road answer saying "two weeks." She then added that there is some sort of water test you can used on your eggs to see if they are fresh or not. So I looked it up and decided to preform the test at home, because I still had the old carton of eggs in my refrigerator.

So here is the carton with the sell by date.


Here is an egg from that carton, clearly floating...egg fail. Verdict = rotten.


So now we know two months out from a sell by date is too long.

Then for kicks I thought I would try an egg from the new carton that I bought last night with a sell by date of June 9.


Schwoo...it sunk and rested horizontally. That would have been a disaster if I had gotten a different result.

So, what is the moral of today's blog? Don't print the stupid sell by date on food, I don't care when it's suppose to be sold by, I want to know on what day eating this food will make me vomit!

1 comment:

  1. ph man i love the water test! I've been doing this for a couple years now...if only we still lived together. :)

    ReplyDelete