Monday, February 15, 2010

The Great Nutella Challenge

Here at unfiltered nonsense we pride ourselves on quality conversations and debating the real facts of life. Recently, I blogged about entering a sweepstakes to win a case of Nutella as a favor to my friend Amanda. Well, my friends, that particular blog spurred a frenzy of activity with no fewer than three friends coming to the defense of Nutella saying it was a delicious treat.

Always trying to broaden my horizons, Becca threw down "The Great Nutella Challenge," try Nutella and report back.

Obstacle #1
Find Nutella in the grocery store. My usual grocery store, The Neighborhood Wal-mart, did not carry it. Luckily, this past weekend I was back home and found a small jar in a Super Wal-mart in Colby, KS.

Obstacle #2
Remember to take the Nutella back to KC with me when I left home. Fail. When I called Mom and told her to try the stuff for me and report her findings, she passed. Apparently, we Garretts like to judge food by it's cover. A 40-50 car pileup on I-70 deterred me from stopping at a grocery store on my way home Sunday night. (Fear not I was not involved in the accident, but it took me 45 minutes to go 4 miles, 5 hours after the initial pileup happen).

Obstacle #3
Try to find Nutella again, this time at Price Chopper. At first look there was no Nutella, but in what could only be described as God's answer to someone's prayers, I looked to the very back of the shelving and in the far back, an entire arms-length reach away from me, was one last jar of Nutella.


I cut up a banana, per Becca's recommendations, and took my first bite of Nutella. Amanda suggested I just eat it by the spoonful, but I wasn't that brave.

(real quick unrelated note, I found out my camera has a "food" setting and I can't wait to take more pictures of food now)

Final verdict?


One thumb up because the other one had to hold the camera. Nutella is surprisingly delicious and wildly bad for you. Seriously! In a 2 tablespoon serving size there are 200 calories and 100 of those are from fat. So eat up friends, but please do so in moderation, you could tub up real fast.

4 comments:

  1. I have a hard time believing that you were unable to find something at a Wal-Mart in Johnson County that was readily available in Colby.

    It's just not logical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously this blog just made my whole day--I was so nervous to see the result and did not scroll ahead (per my no spolers philosophy we've also discussed) and was so happy when I saw the thumbs up pic! the great nutella challenge = smashing success!! Now we just need to find a new challenge so you can get more use out of that food setting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. i love that green giant was apparently watching you in the background the whole time during this challenge event. i suspect he wasn't super-thrilled, given nutella's health ratings.

    2. i think i have the same no-spoiler policy that becca mentioned above. this has only ever turned out to not be good when other people ("pro-spoilers," if you will) always had better endings than me in those "choose your own adventure" books.

    3. can i see a pic with and without this alleged food setting? i think mine has that, too, but you seem more excited about it. . .

    <3

    ReplyDelete